What are the effects of gum disease on a healthy smile? With gum disease, it may appear that your teeth are getting longer or that your gums are becoming more flushed with color. Without the proper care for your teeth, it is possible you will begin to experience signs of gum disease. Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is an infection of your gums within your mouth. If left unchecked, it is likely for your gums to become destabilized and eventually lead to a loss of teeth.
Protect your smile at all times from periodontal disease. Here are some signs and symptoms to be on the lookout for:
– Always monitor all areas of your gum tissue for signs of swelling, tenderness, and a general increase in redness.
– Exercise caution with any medications you may take, as they can often promote dry mouth symptoms, a known cause of gum disease.
– Look for signs of bleeding when eating foods or practicing oral hygiene treatments such as brushing and flossing.
– Quit dangerous habits for your teeth such as smoking and chewing tobacco, as they can greatly increase your risk for gum disease.
– Inspect the length of your teeth to guarantee they are not becoming longer as the result of your gums pulling back away from them.
– Make a note of how often you have bad breath, as recurring bad breath can often be a sign of gum disease.
– Carefully inspect all of your bright white teeth to ensure they are not loose, wobbly, or rotating.
Come speak with our dental office to learn which treatment is right for you. To schedule an oral exam with Dr. Donald Bohne and our team at our dentist office in Tucker, Georgia, simply give us a call at 770-939-6600. Thanks for visiting with a smile!